News Flash Home
The original item was published from 12/10/2018 3:50:23 PM to 1/10/2019 12:05:07 AM.

News Flash

City of Battle Ground News

Posted on: December 10, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Winter Weather Safety Message from the Fire Marshal

Winter Heating - Stay Warm, Stay Safe

With cold weather arriving it's important to stay warm, but not at the cost of fire safety.  Home fires occur more in the winter months than any other time.  Follow these safety tips to help maintain a fire-safe home this winter.  

Space heaters

  • Keep anything that can burn, such as bedding, clothing and curtains, at least 3 feet away from space heaters.
  • Make sure your space heater has an automatic shut-off, so if it tips over, it shuts off.
  • Turn space heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room.
  • Plug portable heaters directly into outlets and never into an extension cord or power strip.

Fireplaces

  • Keep glass or metal screens in front of wood burning fireplaces to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out.
  • Do not burn paper in your fireplace.
  • Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home.
  • Put ashes in a metal container with a lid, outside, at least 3 feet from your home.

Wood Stoves

  • Burn only seasoned wood in your wood stove.  Do not burn wrapping paper, cardboard, or other debris.
  • Have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.
  • Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home.

Furnaces

  • Have your furnace inspected each year.
  • Keep anything that can burn away from the furnace.

Holiday Lights

  • Check the manufacturer’s instructions to find out how many lights can be connected to prevent electric shock and fire.
  • An overloaded electrical outlet is a major fire hazard.  Plug strings of lights directly into the wall and keep the number to a minimum.
  • Replace any string of lights that has worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. These can easily start a fire.
  • Turn off all your holiday lights before going to bed or leaving your home.

Christmas Trees

  • Always keep water in the tree stand. Check daily and add water as needed. Dried-out trees are a major fire hazard.
  • After the Holidays, dispose of your tree properly. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home.